The Recipe to Reduce Waste
Local Chicken Recipes
- 1 whole local chicken (4-5 lbs, thawed)
- 2 cups water
- Add 2 cups water to an Instant pot with rack.
- Place chicken on the rack and select pressure cook.
- Calculate time (5 minutes per pound) and set timer.
- When the timer goes off, vent the steam naturally for 10 minutes, then open the steam vent knob.
- Once all steam has stopped, remove the chicken to a pan for cooling.
Chicken bone broth
- Reserved liquid from cooking the chicken
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 qts water
- Remove and set aside all meat from the still warm chicken.
- Place all skin, tendons, fat, bones and any juices into an Instant Pot.
- Add the water, vinegar, vegetables, and spices.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and select the “Soup/Broth” setting.
- When the timer goes off, vent naturally for 20 minutes, then open the steam vent knob.
- Pour the contents of the inner pot through a fine strainer over a large bowl for cooling.
- Bone broth can be stored in the fridge for use within a few days or frozen for later use.
- *The cooked carrots and celery from the broth make a nice veggie addition to your dog or cat’s food. Just make sure all bones are removed.
From Scratch Chicken “Parmesan” Casserole (Gluten-Free)
- Reserved chicken breast meat
- 1 ½ cups shredded parmesan
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the WHOLE spaghetti squash on the middle rack with a sheet pan on the second rack to catch any drips.
- Cook squash for 40 minutes or until you can make an indent in the squash with your finger.
- Remove the squash to a cooling area.
- When it is cool enough to handle, cut it in half, peel, and scoop out the seeds.
- Pull apart the “spaghetti” strands and let cool.
- Adjust oven temperature to 375.
- Cut chicken breast into finger-sized lengths and place in a mixing bowl, seasoning lightly with a pinch of salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and optional Italian seasoning.
- Add ¾ cup of the parmesan to the chicken and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, season the spaghetti squash with a pinch of salt and pepper and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Lightly coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Evenly coat the bottom of the dish with 1 cup of tomato sauce.
- Add a 1.5” thick layer of spaghetti squash.
- Top with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Add half the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Top with the cheesy chicken, more mozzarella, and any leftover parmesan.
- Cover with buttered foil and bake!
- Cook covered for 20-25 minutes, then uncover and cook until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
From Scratch Chicken Bone Broth Ramen
- Reserved chicken meat
- Chicken bone broth
- Ramen noodles
- 2-3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Tamari or shoyu to taste
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 rib celery, cut finely
- ½ small green cabbage, shredded
- Pea shoots for garnish, optional
- Cilantro, chopped
- Heat pot over medium heat, add the sesame oil, then add the garlic and ginger, stirring constantly..
- Saute the carrots, celery, and cabbage, for 2-3 three minutes, add green onion, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken if you have some reserved and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Season with tamari or shoyu to your taste.
- Cook your favorite ramen noodle per the package directions.
- Place cooked noodles in a deep soup bowl, drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil, and top with green onion, pea shoots, and cilantro.
- Ladle over the bone broth soup base and enjoy!
Special thanks to Chef Laura Aspshaga for sharing these recipes and techniques